- Saturday, August 20, 2016
- Depart the Crystal Cove Marina at 8:15-8:30 AM.
- A trailer caravan will leave the Waldo road Sonny’s Restaurant parking lot at 7:00AM
Crystal Cove Marina, 382-328-4000, 131 Crystal Cove Drive, Palatka, FL 32177
Ed Ellett on VHF channel 9 at the River. Please RSVP to Ed (331-8044 or Ed@EllettIns.com) if you plan to attend. Call or e-mail if you have pre-trip questions too. Last minute participants with no RSVP are welcome.
If interested in going, yet, don’t own a boat, let Ed know, and, he will seek to match you with a Captain with extra space. It is appropriate you offer to help your host Captain with trip expense. A call to Captains: if you have extra space, and, can host a guest, please let Ed know.
What to Bring:
1) Shrimping Cast Net (webbing on perimeter (helps it open on way down))
2) Gloves – pulling long, wet line can be rough on the hands
3) Button-less shirt – amazing how a cast net can find/tangle with a button at the least opportune time! The new GOFC, long sleeve T-shirts are perfect.
4) Five gallon bucket to measure a boat limit, towel to cover, extra ice to keep shrimp cool as accumulate
5) Laundry baskets/plastic washtub to flush net of shrimp after throws
6) Saltwater fishing license/all boat safety gear current
7) Cold drinks and appropriate warm weather clothing, including an extra shirt – yes, it will be hot!
8) Sometimes, extra rope to tie to/extend your cast net rope.
Based on initial scouting report, the plan will be to shrimp on/near channel edge off Shands pier – ie. Not far from the boat ramp. For those who feel the need to use more boat gasoline than a gallon J, ask Ed for tips on areas to explore.
Captains choice – ie. When a limit is filled, or, you are exhausted. If the weather is nice a short trip to Outback Crab House just south of Shand’s Bridge is a wonderful way to end the day (a cold beverage is extra refreshing after throwing the net – they, also, serve an excellent shrimp platter): 8155 County Road 14, St. Augustine, Fl. 32092, 904-522-0500. Call Ed for water directions.